Manual handling injuries are expensive and damage UK businesses through lost production and associated costs. In this course we will look at the problems associated with manual handling and examine the best practice for dealing with them. The general principles are relevant to all workplaces as preventing injuries from poor manual handling techniques will benefit everyone. “Manual Handling” looks at the law and the legal requirements for dealing with handling issues in the workplace. The course covers performing risk assessments and establishing effective control measures.
Participants will acquire the knowledge and skills to:
- Prevent injury or accident due to poor manual handling
- Provide instruction in correct handling techniques and the use of handling aids for both animate and inanimate loads
- Appreciate that poor handling techniques lead to injuries
- Learn how to position and protect yourself during a lift and be able to carry and set down loads safely
- Understand the legal requirements surrounding manual handling and be able to carry out a risk assessment
- Understand the use of handling aids and the necessity for proper training